ROSES FOR THE OCCASION


Not sure
I really know you
inside ‘n’ out.
I know you.
That’s for sure.

Kind of like sniffing,
Smelling, cherishing,
Guarding a rose,
Being careful not to wound
Even a petal.

Yet I will never know the rose completely.
Even if I gingerly take the rose apart, 
Piece by piece,
I will be left with only
Pieces and parts.
But no rose.

I know there are places inside you
That others judge as flawed,
Imperfect,
Character defects
Not covered by the warranty!

And
I know there are places inside you
That others judge as beautiful,
Perfect, twenty four karat.

For whatever reason
I have no need to take you apart.
I only see YOU.
I’m careful not to wound
Even a petal.

I am so grateful
You showed up in my garden
And insisted we journey
To a new garden.
One that belongs
To neither you nor me,
A place where we can plant our love,
Where we can grow and blossom
Together.


And be and become
All of who we are
With no judgments
No decisions to eliminate
Not even a single piece or part.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN EASTER POEM: IT IS TIME

MARIANNE BYER'S COLLATION

THANK YOU MAYA ANGELOU