A POEM FOR YOUR WEDDING DAY



Like a faithful sentinel
I stood watch day after day,
Impatiently waiting for the sun
To run its course, to trip over itself,
To, at last, tumble backward over the horizon,
Giving way, of course, to the sky
To light my dreams, one by one,
Each and every night.

You were there in every dream,
Your luscious body next to me.
Sadly I awoke, day after day,
To the sun, the empty space next to me.

Once again,
I would rise from my dreams,
Impatiently stand watch,
Waiting for nightfall, so I could fall,
Fall in love with you again and again
Each and every night.

When I told a wise man,
My dreaming would soon be over,
He warned me
Of the darkness that would befall my soul
Should I no longer live in my dreams.

“Love does not exist in the light of day,”
He warned me.
“If you insist upon coming to your senses,
Love will only fade away, just like the stars.
“It is time, now,” he said,
To live in your dreams
Even when you are awake.”

And so, my love,
I am impatiently waiting for this day to end,
So we can join the sun,
Tripping over ourselves,
Tumbling backward over the horizon,
Giving way to the sky to light our dreams
Where we will live, together now,
Day after day,
Even when we are awake.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN EASTER POEM: IT IS TIME

MARIANNE BYER'S COLLATION

THANK YOU MAYA ANGELOU