CONVERSATIONS WITH THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN MY LIFE



We meet like this often,
Sitting across from each other at our favorite spot,
Sipping coffee,
Peering into each other’s eyes,
Discovering all we can about
Our own lives through the mirror,
The mirror we offer each other.

“You’re really lonely,”
I finally broke the silence.
You can’t imagine what it sounds like
When you break the silence.
Of course, it sounds like nothing,
Nothing at all, except
The sound of your voice.
And my voice,
It sounded lonely as well.
Maybe, that’s how I knew.

“I am not afraid of dying,” he spoke.
“What I am afraid of is when I die,
When I get to heaven.
I will wander there
Alone.
I will be happy that I am there,
But my familiar sense of being alone
In the universe
Will continue to haunt me.
It seems like a core thread to my being,
Like a curse I will carry with me
Back into infinity.
But how can that be?

“Can you somehow draw this thread,
This curse,
Out of my heart,
Out of my soul,
Out of my very being?

“Or perhaps it’s not even there.
It’s only in my imagination, which unfortunately,
Makes it as good as real.”

“There’s nothing to draw out,” I responded.
It’s like the clothes you wear.
Simply put on some new clothes.
Yes, there was a time, perhaps,
Yes, perhaps.
We both know there are mysteries,
Sometimes just plain mysteries,
Not meant to be solved, but simply meant
To be let go of, sent on their way
To wherever they came from.
But yes, perhaps there was a time
Back when you were quite small,
When you were alone,
Very alone in the universe.
But you and I have grown up together,
And neither of us are alone any longer.
Imagine that, if you will.
Fortunately, it’s as good as real.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN EASTER POEM: IT IS TIME

MARIANNE BYER'S COLLATION

THANK YOU MAYA ANGELOU